Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ash Wednesday, Part II

The strange thing about Ash Wednesday is that despite being perhaps the most somber services of the year, it is also one my most favorite.  The reason is, as I mentioned yesterday, is that as we confess our sins and are moved to look deep within at the brokenness and hurt, we are not alone.  At both services that sense of community permeated the recitation of the 51st Psalm and the Litany of Penitence (both of which, by the way, are found on page 266-269 for those of you playing at home with your Prayer Book).  It's a wonderful feeling knowing that as we plead our need for God, our voices are joined with others pleading their need for God.

Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent also call our attention to a subject that most of us try to avoid – mortality.  During the imposition of ashes yesterday I couldn't help but reflect on the 8 persons I've buried since my arrival at St Timothy's.  I also knew that during my time here, some of those for whom I said, "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return" I will also say, "we commit his/her body to the ground, earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."  It's a sobering feeling. 

Let us appreciate life today.  Let us appreciate those in our lives.  Let us think of God, say a prayer, and do good.

PS: As requested by Lilana Hines - incense was used at both services yesterday and the topic of the MASSIVE thurible came up. This comes from a cathedral in Spain.  If you can't see it on your screen, click here. Enjoy!



--
Fr. Steve Rice
Rector, St Timothy's Episcopal Church
Winston-Salem, NC
www.sttimothys.ws
www.sttims.blogspot.com
336.765.0294

No comments:

Post a Comment