Monday, May 4, 2009

Fr. Steve's Morning Email - 5/4/09

There's a Lyle Lovett song, They Don't Like Me, with a memorable chorus:

They don't like me
I can feel it
And I don't like them
It's the same old song
They don't like me
I just know it
But I'd be happy
Just to get along


Maybe Lyle read Psalm 41, the psalm for Morning Prayer this morning:

My enemies are saying wicked things about me: "When will he die, and his name perish?"
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;
their heart collects false rumors; they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me and devise evil against me.
Even my best friend, whom I trusted, who break bread with me, has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
  (41:5-7, 9)

This is one of the jewels of the Bible - honesty.  How many times have we felt like the world and the people in it are out to get us?  Passive aggressiveness, rumors, gossip, etc., etc., etc.  It's there.  Truth be told, sometimes they don't like us, for good reason and bad.  It's the same old song. 

But there is a new verse to the same old song.
"In my integrity you hold me fast, and shall set be before your face for ever." 41:12

Do they not like you?  Hold to what is true.  Know thyself.  Rejoice.

Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, from age to age.  Amen (41:13)

--
Fr. Steve Rice
Rector, St Timothy's Episcopal Church
Winston-Salem, NC
www.sttimothys.ws
336.765.0294 - office
336.602.0370 - cell

No comments:

Post a Comment