Monday, April 20, 2009

Fr. Steve's Morning Email - 4/20/09

You have not been kicked off the morning email list, but with Holy Week and a little R and R, the morning emails have been percolating in the computer.

Last night at Devout Stout (Sunday evenings at 7:30 at Finnegan's Wake downtown), I mention Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.  I don't remember how I was exposed to Bishop Sheen, for he died the year I was born, but he has always been a hero of mine.  You may remember his television show in the 50s and 60s, Life is Worth Living and the Fulton Sheen Program.

He was a pioneer in using the new medium of television to present the faith and he did it with such ease and entertainment.  Imagine, a Roman Catholic Archbishop having a prime time show on ABC in the 50s.  

If you don't know him, I'm including two clips, one serious and one funny.

The first is a famous rift against communism and the second was his appearance on What's My Line.  Enjoy:

Communism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVBXzf4eUJg

What's My Line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgvEA2D4sw



--
Fr. Steve Rice
Rector, St Timothy's Episcopal Church
Winston-Salem, NC
www.sttimothys.ws
www.sttims.blogspot.com
336.765.0294

No comments:

Post a Comment