Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fr. Steve's Morning Email - 4/28/09

Our Wednesday Rekindle the Gift series has been distracted for the month of April.  We had Holy Week, Easter Week, last week we had a wonderful stewardship event, so tomorrow night is really the only 'regular' Wednesday we'll have in April under our theme Rekindle Resurrection.

But here's where we're gonna go: 1) what do we mean by resurrection and 2) how can we, as intelligent folks, honestly make such a claim?

Easter is the centerpiece of the Christian year and these are two very good questions that we may never have asked before.  I'm excited!  I've missed the Wednesday nights so I'm getting ready.  PS: we're having chicken pot pie and all the fixins.

Ok, so here's my other thought for the day.  As a new resident of North Carolina and a new participant in our state's pollen plan, I made a sneezily trip to CVS last night for some medicinal assistance.  My house is jumping on the Dave Ramsay bandwagon, so I passed up the name brand Claritin for the CVS version.  Here's what I didn't know.  You can't just pick that stuff up.  You have to take a card and surrender your driver's license to even buy it.  Why? I asked.  To make sure I won't make crystal meth.  I can barely make sweet tea, I wouldn't even know where to start in transformation from allergy medicine to illegal drug.

But again, like the Mentos and Diet Coke, it makes the point that so much of our day is based on how we react with the people and events we encounter.  Claritin can be used for relief or it could be used to destroy your body.  Every person and every situation can be used for something good or for something bad.  The choice, really, is ours.  

St Paul has a good thought for us, "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose."  I take that to mean when life is viewed through the lens of faith then everything can be used as a building block or a bridge to something wonderful.

--
Fr. Steve Rice
Rector, St Timothy's Episcopal Church
Winston-Salem, NC
www.sttimothys.ws
www.sttims.blogspot.com
336.765.0294

No comments:

Post a Comment