Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Youth Mission Trip - Wednesday report

Good evening everyone! Here is a report from three individuals today, Tanner Mann, Raven Sexton, and Frances Miller.

Tanner –
Hello, today was a pretty fun day. I pretty much painted boards all day. It was probably one of the hottest days so far, almost as hot as me. I had to take a lot of water breaks. Last night we had a cookout at the park. We had hamburgers and played in the field. Then we came back and David Rose told us a scary story about Count Dracula. Overall this has been a great trip!


Raven-
Hello bloggers! This trip has been so much fun so far. The heat is terrible!!! Last night all four youth groups went to a park for a cookout. We played a very intense game of human knot, while others played a game of ultimate Frisbee. After dinner there was a hard core eating contest in which I took place in. Our yummy meal was a pickle ( which I hate!!!) on a hamburger bun with chocolate syrup and sprinkles. Now doesn’t that sound yummy?!?!? Now the race started and while all the other four large big tall men were only half way through the whole sandwich was completely in my mouth. Even though I hadn’t swallowed it first it was in my mouth first. And VERY soon after that i threw up behind a tree next to a grill. Not the prettiest thing out there, GROSS! Then back at the church the AC in the girls building was broken so girls from the youth groups had a sleepover in the gym on the floor!!! And then today some people including myself woke at 6:15 am to go to the work site early and get a head start on what needed to be finished. I painted like the whole front of a house on a ladder and it was scary!!! I was helped by my Bennie Boo Boo bear (Ben Cowgill) by him holding my ladder in the HOT sun all day; he is my hero! When all returned back, David Rose surprised us with a slip n slide! It was a blast, it made us feel like such kids again loved it, even our adults took a run or two. It was a fun day and one I will never forget!!!!! :)



Frances- Parent Chaperone
Oh boy, has this youth mission trip been such an inconvenience. I have way too many other things to do, a new project at work, llamas to shave, I’ll miss my daily exercise and the Bailey’s party!
The trip down was so long, two different delays of about 4 hours, the AC on the bus went out and when we finally go to Alabama we found out we were to sleep on the floor. It’s hot, we have to wear long pants, the food is mediocre, the AC in our sleeping quarters is on the blink; the list on inconveniences could go on and on.
After we arrive we find that the 2 delays were accidents that took 3 lives, only an inconvenience for us but a life changing event for those families.
Now we are on the work site and I wonder if the kids will behave, if they will whine. I sure want to as it is hot enough to fry eggs and they are putting shingles on the roof. Instead they are fighting over who gets to work up there all begging to go up. When it’s time to quit for the day, they still want to stay and work. On the way home they talk about how glad they had on long pants because of the hot tar on the shingles, the poison ivy and how they don’t stick to the vinyl seats of the bus. Are these the same children that came from Winston Salem or aliens? A great time to watch our children grow.
We meet Myrna whose house we are working on. She is such a kind and generous person sharing her story with us. We find out that she lost her job, her possessions, her home. She has slept on here mother’s couch for the last 4 YEARS! The one thing she has not lost is her faith and now we are helping her regain her home. I find that in her I found a new friend along with all her extended family of children and grandchildren.
The AC in the church is out and I find out from Lee Prout, an Aurora Church member that this is exactly the same weather that they had after Katrina, except that it lasted 4 MONTHS with no electricity, water, food. More than an inconvenience, why am I complaining about one night? Maybe we are finding out what it might have been like then. The girls all take their mattresses to the gym to sleep and soon our girls are all chatting with girls from other groups, what a great time to meet others.
While we are working, a stranger comes by. He is the pastor of a small church around the corner. They have just turned on the AC and he saw us working and thought we might need a break from the heat. What a gift!
Some kids want to go for a morning run so I can exercise! We have a great time and they come up with new ways for summer Sunday School, will I help them? They are leading me.
Tonight we will worship with the Team Effort Group and then Pastor Simon, the pastor of Aurora Church will join us and share some of his experiences over the past 4 years. I am so looking forward to this. Time to meet new people.
Oh boy, this youth mission trip has been such an opportunity.


Pictures of the Slip-n-slide:






2 comments:

  1. Hello Alex, Messick, Godfrey and the rest of you! I just now discovered all these pictures and am so glad to actually see my hard working son and all the rest of you! Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job and having lots of fun inspite of the unbelievable heat!!! I am very proud of Alex and every single one of you, both young and not so young! Sending all my love and good wishes for your last work day going well. Enjoy tomorrow's free day - you deserve it!!!! Love you all, and an extra special hug and kiss for Alex! Sorry sugar - couldn't resist! Mom/Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your hard work and commitment, the pictures are great - You are a fantastic group - St. Timothy's is fortunate to have so many dedicated youth and advisors - Alice Elsner

    ReplyDelete