Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fr. Steve's Morning Email - 2/3/09

  Blog

Black Ice.
Beware of the darker side of snow.  When it falls, it is beautiful.  Large flakes that seem as large as your hand.  Everything is covered, the
air is crisp, while young and old alike enjoy playing out in the yard (at least for a minute).  But then the sun warms.  Yesterday it sounded like a
rain storm at St Timothy's as the melted snow rolled off the roof of the church.  It saturates the ground and puddles and then as the sun goes down
– it freezes.  Black Ice.  Black ice occurs when water freezes and there are only a few air bubbles trapped inside.  It's not black – just
transparent.  It provides an almost invisible coating to whatever is underneath and it can be dangerous. 
It reminds me to something Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount: "The eye is the lamp of the body.  So, if you eye is healthy, your whole
body will be full of light; but if you eye is unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness.  If then the light in you is darkness, how great
is the darkness!" (Matthew 6:22-23)
One could interpret this is many ways.  But for me, today in this first week of Lent, I'm reading it as good counsel to keep my eyes open – not
necessarily to look for the creeping things that hide in the shadows – but in terms of being self-aware.  Do I know myself today?  Am I seeing
myself and my situation clear?  Can I detect those invisible (hurtful) coatings around me and those around me?
And most importantly, am I in the light?

 
Your Subscription:

Change your subscription (
http://frsteverice.com/index.php?option=com_acajoom&Itemid=999&act=change&subscriber=138&cle=bfc0c5a511db29726a90c54f62385866&listid=1 )
Unsubscribe (
http://frsteverice.com/index.php?option=com_acajoom&Itemid=999&act=unsubscribe&subscriber=138&cle=bfc0c5a511db29726a90c54f62385866&listid=1 )

Powered by Joobi ( http://www.ijoobi.com )

 

No comments:

Post a Comment