Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What Happened on the Cross?

I remember a few years ago my father calling me on the phone with a 'theological question.' You must realize, my father has never asked me a 'theological question' so I was all ears.

He was driving down the road and saw a billboard that said, "Jesus died for your sins."

He had a very good question: "How did Jesus die for my sins?"

In other words, what happened on the cross? We confess that Christ died for us, but a deeper question is how did his death save us? We confess the 'what' but we are uninformed about the 'how'.

Christ's work on the cross is called the atonement. There have been many ideas throughout the history of the Church has to what the atonement did. Tonight we are going to explore this very simple, yet incredibly profound question - how did Jesus die for our sins?

No comments:

Post a Comment